Maintaining a good indoor air quality can be a little unnerving for many homeowners. Having normal humidity levels plays a key role in improving indoor air quality and keeping a healthy, comfortable space. High humidity levels not only encourage fungus growth, they also cause breathing problems for people with allergies and asthma. So, it’s highly advised that homeowners should keep their home’s humidity to anywhere between 40% and 50% to stay on the safe side. In this article, we’re going to review some of the best dehumidifiers so you can easily choose the best among them. All of the humidifiers below are easily available on Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, eBay, etc.
- Quick Comparison
- Best Dehumidifiers Your Money Can Buy
- Hisense 50-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier with pump – Energy Star
- BLACK+DECKER BXEH41019GB Compact Dehumidifier
- Danby Energy Star 50-Pint Dehumidifier
- Pure and Dry Whisper 50 Pint Energy Star Rated Low Temp Dehumidifier by Aerus
- Kenmore 55530 Dehumidifier
- Keystone 50 Pint Dehumidifier
- Soleus Air Portable Dehumidifier
- ARCTIC Wind 70 Pints Dehumidifier
- Frigidaire 70-Pint Dehumidifier
- Aprilaire 76 Digital Dehumidifier Control
- What to Look for When Opting for a Dehumidifier
- Most Common Questions about Dehumidifiers
Best Dehumidifiers Your Money Can Buy
Hisense 50-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier with pump – Energy Star
Hisense dehumidifier manual 50-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier delivers amazing results for most spaces in your home, be it a bedroom, living room, basement or conference room. The powerful 50-pint capacity is sure to help you get rid of all the extra moisture. This can be an ideal choice for homeowners who’re looking for a reliable and affordable humidifier for their home. It runs super smoothly, meaning you won’t have noise issues when running this device. The robust construction gives it an edge over many made in USA dehumidifiers available at the same price in the market.
It has a low noise airflow system that ensures quiet operations, which can achieve a 48dB(A) sound level even o the low setting. It comes with a built-in pump together with a quick connect the drain hose to make it easier for people to remove water. It can operate at as low as at 38°F temperature. Unlike a Non-electric dehumidifiers, this dehumidifier is capable of covering up to an area of up to 1000 sq ft and comes with a two-year warranty to give you full peace of mind.
- The low noise airflow offers quiet operations
- Washable and removal air filter
- The filter indicator tells you when to clean your air filter, reducing orders and bacteria
- Two year warranty brings you a full peace of mind
- Not suitable for large areas
BLACK+DECKER BXEH41019GB Compact Dehumidifier
Ideal for offices, homes and outbuildings, this dehumidifier for the garage works super quietly to minimize disturbance. It can remove up to 0.8 litter of moisture each day, preventing mould formation and controlling dampness and condensation levels. It comes with a huge 2.5-litre water tank so users can use it for several without emptying the tank. Unlike other dehumidifiers available out there, it’s easy to operate and read. The touch screen LED display is what makes things easier for you.
- Super quite operation ensures minimal disturbance
- Capable of removing up to 0.8-litre of moisture each day
- Works best to control dampness and condensation levels
- Internal memory function ensure a quick start even if the power is lost
- Inaccurate humidity reading
- Not whisper quiet
Danby Energy Star 50-Pint Dehumidifier
This energy-efficient dehumidifier from Danby operates super quietly using 2 fan speeds (which you can regulate) in spaces up to 3,000 square feet. The 50-pint portable design is what sets it apart from the rest available in the market. It also comes with a smart dehumidifying feature that allows the unit to regulate the humidity automatically by assessing ambient room temperature. The unit will automatically resume functioning on the previous settings if it shuts off suddenly due to a power outage.
The automatic de-icing system does a great job of always keeping the coils ice-free. The low temp feature allows the unit to run at temperatures as low as 41F. The direct drain system and removable air filter make maintenance easy. Furthermore, it has 4 built-in caster wheels for improved portability.
- Portable design makes it easy to move the unit from one room to another
- Capable of removing up to 50 pints of humidity from the air per day
- Ideal for spaces up to 3,000 sq. ft.
- Low temperature feature operates at as low as 41F
- Two fan speeds with 24 hour on/off timer
- Some may have problems with it’s a little bit noisy operations
- You might not find it as energy efficient as it is portrayed
Pure and Dry Whisper 50 Pint Energy Star Rated Low Temp Dehumidifier by Aerus
This energy-efficient 50-pint dehumidifier is ideal for dehumidifying a basement or any part of the home. Capable of silently operating down to 41°F, this dehumidifier whole house from Aerus covers an area up to a thousand square feet in size. The most noteworthy features include but are not limited to auto restart, 16.9-pint bucket, a digital humidistat, auto defrost, and a digital timer. It comes with a two-year warranty and includes a washable antibacterial air filter to promote healthy indoor air quality. It also comes equipped with an automatic drainage feature that works by adding a hosepipe to the drainage port located in the back of the unit.
- Capable of operating in low temperatures down to 41°F
- Dehumidifies rooms up to 1,000 square feet in size
- One can control humidity levels between 35-percent and 85-percent
- Full tank alert indicatory, auto restart and auto shut off
- Offers super quiet operations
- There isn’t much to say against this dehumidifier. However, you may find other effective options under the same price tag.
Kenmore 55530 Dehumidifier
The Kenmore built-in dehumidifier for the basement is ideal for dwellings with finished basements, second-floor laundry rooms, master baths and home offices. All of these spaces require balanced humidity levels for added comfort. This unit is ideal for homeowners looking to reduce the basement humidity level. This unit may also help protect important documents, such as medical records and books. The unit has two fan speed settings to customize comfort, a washable filter for easy maintenance, and uses up to 35-pint in 24 hours. All of the following pros make it an ideal dehumidifier system for the basement.
- Humidistat for moisture control
- Drain hose compatible
- Built-in timer control
- Tank full sensor with auto defrost and auto shut off
- Offers super quiet operations
- The compressor may produce a loud noise, you will need to empty it more often
Keystone 50 Pint Dehumidifier
Designed with present-day needs in mind, the Keystone 50 pint dehumidifier is fully capable of absorbing 50 pints of moisture out of a room up to 4500 square feet in size. It has a huge 6L water tank, meaning you won’t have to empty the tank more often. It’s an easy-to-use and reliable unit that does great job managing moisture in the air. Adjusting to your desired settings is a doddle with this dehumidifier. The intuitive LED display and electronic controls will make things easier for you. You can choose Normal, Auto Defrost, or Turbo mode, depending on your requirements and preferences.
Other key functions include a full bucket alert, auto restart, a clean filer indicator, and an automatic shut-off function. The Keystone is one of the most reputed names that produce ideal air dehumidifiers. This dehumidifier is designed in a way that it can be kept anywhere in your apartment or home, including bedroom, attic, basement, garage, bathroom, or any other place where you want to minimize mold, mildew and other allergens. It is also known as the best dehumidifier for the bathroom.
This unit is also quiet and you will barely notice it’s working. It is Energy Star rated, meaning you won’t have to worry about its operating costs, and it will perform smoothly without damaging your wallet. Homeowners can also use it in their closet, washroom, or laundry room to prevent dampness and mold. This garage dehumidifier from Keystone is capable of absorbing water and humidity from your surroundings, no matter how challenging it is. The auto-restart feature helps you save your settings in case of a power outage. Rolling casters make it super portable, and you can easily move it from one room to another. It can also be used as a cellar dehumidifier.
- Capable of removing 50 pints of moisture from any room up to 4500 square feet in size
- LED display and electronic controls makes it a lot easier for you to control the unit
- Full bucket alert, automatic shut-off, and water level indicator
- Features an easy-cleaning, removable dust filter with a clean filter alert
- Continuous draining option is also available using a standard garden hose and a low level drain
- There’s nothing to say against this unit, as everything is perfectly managed by the manufacturer. However, you may consider other models available out there that come under the same price tag.
Soleus Air Portable Dehumidifier
Remove excess humidity with this 110-pint dehumidifier from the world’s leading dehumidifier brand Soleus. This unit offers great portability so it can easily be moved from one room to another, and is pre-programmed with different settings to support different MyHome modes. With a 24 hour timer, it’s easy to program operation and shut off times. The unit is fully capable of removing up to 110 pints of moisture per day. For continuous operations, it’s highly suggested that the unit is placed near a proper drain. In the event of power outage, this dehumidifier will remember all your settings and schedules, and you won’t have to set it again. It will automatically pick up the settings once the power supply is restored. The built-in pump is a great added convenience for you. Converting 50 pints to gallons may help you to get a good idea of how much pint capacity is ideal for your space.
- 110 pint portable dehumidifier with a built-in pump
- Easy to read digital humidistat
- 24 hour timer for programmed operation
- Three fan speeds: low, medium & high air circulation
- Capable of removing up to 110 pints of humidity per 24 hours
- Not ideal for average homerooms, as it will lead to expensive electricity bills. However, it’s an ideal choice for larger spaces.
ARCTIC Wind 70 Pints Dehumidifier
Protect your dwelling from mildew and mold caused by excess humidity with this 70-pint dehumidifier. It’s capable of removing up to 70-pint of moisture from the environment per day. The key features include a digital display, electronic control panel, a large capacity collection tank, and a water level indicator. It supports a continuous drain option when placed near a low-level drain. It also has 360-degree revolving wheels to offer easy and quick mobility.
- Capable of removing up to 20 pints of humidity from the air a day
- Easy to read digital humidistat
- Suitable for areas up to 1500 square feet
- Smart Dehumidifying mode works automatically to adjust humidity
- 3 fan speed, electronic control panel, LED display, sleep mode and 12 hour timer
- There’s nothing to say against this unit, as everything is perfectly managed by the manufacturer. However, you may consider other models available out there that come under the same price tag
Frigidaire 70-Pint Dehumidifier
This Energy Star dehumidifier is capable of removing 70 pints of moisture from the air per day. It does a great job protecting your dwelling from mildew and mold caused by excess humidity and eliminating bacteria in the air which can cause breathing difficulty. It also comes with a low-temperature operation to save energy and money.
- Continuous operation when placed near a proper drain
- 70 pints per day capacity is enough for all rooms and spaces in your home
- 24-hour on/off timer
- Portable design
- TNot suitable for larger spaces. You may consider other options available at the same price tag
Aprilaire 76 Digital Dehumidifier Control
Aprilaire 76 is an affordable and reliable choice for people struggling with higher moisture levels in their homes. It’s a wall-mounted dehumidifier control that comes with an intuitive digital display, where you can have a look at RH levels, or the relative humidity levels in your home and control them with a click of a single button. It’s an ideal machine for those who’re new to using dehumidifiers. Aprilaire’s dehumidifier offers an effective and convenient way to ensure your indoor air quality and environment are comfortable and healthy. In addition to improving indoor air quality, a home dehumidifier also does a great job of protecting your home’s structure.
- Wall-mounted structure is easy to use and maintain
- Digital display to show RH and controls to an RH value
- An intuitive remote control for seal attics and crawlspace applications
- Limited option levels, you can’t set a direct percentage
What to Look for When Opting for a Dehumidifier
Finding the right dehumidifier can be a little difficult task, especially for those who’re new to buying a dehumidifier. One needs to consider all the aspects associated with a dehumidifier to pick the right product. Bearing this in mind, we have made a list of some important things that one should consider when buying a dehumidifier. Let’s find out what features you should check when opting for a dehumidifier.
Pint capacity refers to the amount of humidity in pints that a room dehumidifier can remove from the air in 24 hours. It’s affected by the room size and initial humidity within that space. Generally, dehumidifiers with a pint capacity of up to 70 pints are considered best for residential or home use, while the dehumidifiers with a pint capacity of more than 70 pints are suitable for industrial or commercial applications.
Hydrostat or Humidistat
A humidistat is a tool measuring relative humidity in a given environment. It sends back that recorded information to the dehumidifier for any required adjustments. It’s the humidistat that lets users control a dehumidifier to achieve a desired relative humidity level. Generally, humidistats come preinstalled in dehumidifiers or can be purchased separately.
Collection Bucket or Collection Tank
Most residential or home dehumidifiers have an internal bucket or tank to easily dispose of collated water. This tank collects water extracted through moisture. The more tank capacity means the more water it can hold. Most dehumidifier models come with an auto shut-off feature or tank indicator system to avoid overflowing.
Low Temperature Function
There’re some models available out there that are designed to work in low-temperature conditions such as crawl spaces or basements. Most dehumidifier models support an operating temperature setting that is more than suitable for crawl spaces or basements, but some dehumidifier models can even be operated in a temperate as low as 30°F.
Manual or Automated Controls
While looking for a dehumidifier for crawl space or home, one may come across models with electronics controls or models with manual controls. However, most dehumidifiers come with electronic controls, as they are easy to use and effective. The main difference between electronic and manual is that electronic models are controlled with a button type interface, while manual controls are controlled with a ‘’dial.’’ If the power is interrupted, a model with electronic control will turn off and you’ll need to turn it on again.
Always look for a quiet dehumidifier as you wouldn’t like to be annoyed with a noisy dehumidifier. Although all models make some sound, some brands are notorious for producing noisy dehumidifiers. So be sure to check the noise level before deciding on any dehumidifier model.
As its name suggests, an air filter is an optional accessory, which works by cleaning the air being drawn into the unit. In simple words, the air is passed through the filter and the dehumidifier, humidity is extracted from the air and put in a collection bucket. That’s what an air filter does.
If you’re looking for a unit that’s easy to move, look for portable models, as they are smaller in size and weigh less compared to heavy-duty dehumidifiers. Portable units come with rolling casters and a carrying handle to facilitate movability.
Automatic shut off
This means that one can turn off its dehumidifier without having to unplug the unit from an outlet. Models with an automatic shut-off feature also shut the unit off when the collection tank is full to avoid overflow.
If you have been using dehumidifiers for quite a long time, you can tell why it is important to have a dehumidifier unit with a built-in drainage system and hose. If you wish to drain the collected water to a point that’s higher than the unit, you’ll need to look for a unit with a built-in pump. If your environment doesn’t require continuous operations, you may consider going with a dehumidifier unit with a collection tank, as they are inexpensive in comparison to units with a built-in drainage system.
Most Common Questions about Dehumidifiers
The following are the most common questions asked about dehumidifiers on the internet. Having a look at them may be of help to you in improving your knowledge about dehumidifiers.